Veteran Affairs Education Benefits

Beaufort County Community College is extremely proud of the men and women in uniform who bravely serve this Country. Our goal is to enhance the education experience of veterans and eligible family members by providing access to education benefits within a supportive environment. We support Veteran Affairs (VA) education programs to ensure our service members, veterans, and your family have the information needed to make informed decision concerning your well-earned educational benefits.

Education Benefits & Eligibility Requirements

Beaufort County Community College is approved by the North Carolina State Approving Agency for the enrollment of persons eligible for education assistance benefits from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.


Students electing to use Veteran Affairs education benefits must meet requirements as outlined by both the Veterans Affairs office and the North Carolina State Approving Agency.

For additional information regarding VA benefits contact:
Lauren Brantley
Financial Aid Specialist & VA Certifying Official
Beaufort County Community College
Building 9, Office 902
P: 252.940.6327 | F: 252.940.6393

How to Apply for VA Educational Benefits

Step 1: Apply for VA Educational Benefits

To start the application process to use your GI Bill® or to use the GI Bill ® of your spouse or parent, you first need to apply with the VA for the appropriate application for benefits. This process may be completed at any VA Office, by calling 1-888-442-4551 or by visiting

To use VA benefits at BCCC, students must complete a Memorandum of Understanding. Students who are changing program of study or has used benefits within the past year, VA Form 22-1995 must be completed.

Please review the groups (A or B) below to for additional information needed to accompany your application:

Group A:

Individuals under the following categories:

  • Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill®, Active Duty
  • Chapter 31 Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)
  • Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® or Transfer of Eligibility (TOE)
  • Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve
  • Chapter 1607 Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)

Individuals applying for benefits under Group A are required to submit a copy of their DD-214 (Member 4), a copy of the application submitted for benefits and their Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE).

Group B:

Individuals under the following categories:

  • Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program

Individuals applying for benefits under Group B are required to submit a copy of their birth certificate (dependents) or their marriage certificate (spouses) in addition to completing the application.

Step 2: Apply for Admission to BCCC

Complete and submit an online admission application at

Step 3: Submit all Official Transcripts

Prior to being certified for VA benefits, students must submit all official transcripts from your high school/GED equivalency, from any college/universities you've attended and a copy of your military transcript to the Admissions Office. To verify received transcripts, contact BCCC Admissions Office at 252-940-6237.

Step 4: Submit all Official Transcripts

You may qualify for federal aid. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at BCCC’s federal school code: 008558.

Step 5: Register & Pay for Classes

Once you have registered and paid for classes, each academic term you must submit a copy of your current schedule and a copy of your receipt of payment to the BCCC VA School Certifying Official located in the Financial Aid Office, Student Services, Bldg. #9 Office 902.

**Students receiving GI Bill® benefits must submit a copy of their schedule and receipt of payment, if required, each semester they wish to be certified.

Important Things to Know about Using your GI Bill® at BCCC

You can only receive VA funds for approved curriculum programs. Most degree programs are approved by VA, but if you're unsure, contact the BCCC VA School Certifying Official. Continuing education courses are not approved by VA.

VA will only pay for courses in your program of study. VA will not pay for independent study, audited classes, or credit by exam.

It can take up to 60-90 days for VA to process your claim for benefits.

If you decide to change your program of study, you must notify the BCCC VA School Certifying Official prior to changing/updating your program of study with the Admissions Office.

Any change in personal information (address, name, etc.) must be reported to the BCCC School VA Certifying Official and the Admissions Office immediately.

The Veterans Administration regulations require students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in order to remain eligible for VA educational benefits. BCCC’s financial aid SAP policy can be obtained here.

It is your responsibility to notify us of any changes in your schedule - dropping a class, adding a class, withdrawing from a class(es), etc.

If you withdraw from classes or do not report changes when verifying your enrollment, you may owe funds to VA. Contact the BCCC VA School Certifying Official before making changes to your schedule or if you have any questions.

Important VA Contacts

Lauren Brantley
BCCC VA School Certifying Official

(252) 940-6237

Regional VA Office
(888) 442-4551

Veterans Crisis Line
(800) 273-8255